Thursday, May 18, 2023

My First Heart-iversary!

 No card today and this post is actually mainly for me!   In a couple of days it'll be my very first heart-iversary and I'm so thankful I'm here to write about it.  I'm thankful to be alive and feel each and every day now is a blessing.  Deep breath.........

Last year in April I went in for my annual physical type deal feeling on top of the world!  I hadn't been sick, no crazy symptoms of any kind, and was in top notch health - or so I thought.  They ran an EKG since I hadn't had one in about (cough) 10 years and they didn't like what they saw.  Next step was the cardiologist.  Long story short ...........

After a couple of tests I was scheduled for an angiogram.  He didn't even get half way through that and threw my butt into a room saying they were going to do open heart surgery/bypass first thing in the morning!  Ugh!  This wasn't sounding good!  Too long to go into all the details but I had open heart surgery/triple bypass that next morning, was in ICU for 16 days due some weird (and very scary) complications, in a rehab facility for two weeks, back home, and then in an outpatient rehab for three months.  

It was a very long road to travel - and still is.  There are really good days and really dark days.  The dark days are the ones where I have to force myself to get up out of bed and move.   Well, DUH!!!!  Of course, some days are dark......I mean come on.......They go in and saw your sternum apart, termporarily stop the heart, slice your leg open to get all kinds of cute little extra veins or something, do all kinds of weird things with that to repair the heart, get your heart beating once again, wire you back up.... and say you're good to go!  Lordy me - but so amazing! The good days are starting to outnumber the bad days a little bit now so that's good I guess.   

It's just a very special time for me so, I'm celebrating for the next few days - and as long as I can after that too!    One day at a time........ but for now.......the beat goes on..........

Thanks for stopping by........and keep smiling!  

Lynn



 


17 comments:

Carol L said...

It's nothing short of a miracle that they found your heart issues by chance, but I'm thankful to still have you here with us! I'm glad your recovery went well - even though it took quite some time to get where you are today. I went through it with my husband years ago, so I know what you went through (minus the complications you had). All I can say is thank God for good doctors who know what they're doing. Butch flat-lined at age 42 but he lived another 33 years so it was all worth it to have him here that long. I'm celebrating with you today, congratulations! May you have many more good days ahead as well. There are always going to be dark days for all of us, but don't sweat the small stuff. Life is good :)

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

I translated all your story with an online translator because my English isn't so good. You have certainly had a very bad time, I can only imagine the shock and the "torture" you have suffered, the anguish and the pain... but now you are here, your heart beats, you can enjoy life and be grateful to have made all the way, and celebrate the anniversary of your heart. Bravo! And good doctors who saved you. Now you just have to enjoy life as much as you can, have confidence in the future and leave the fears and dark days behind you. And when a few dark days come along, you know they’ll pass...
Hugs and smiles!

Chrissy said...

How wonderful Lynn that a year has gone by, you are still with us and feeling good, congratulations, and I hope you have many, many more years crafting and visiting..

Luv CHRISSYxx

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Lynn, what a journey - so glad to hear you went for the check up to start with, and had the EKG - that in itself was a timely miracle.
It sure is a long road back from such major surgery, so be kind to yourself and celebrate in style!!
Blessings
Maxine

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Wowzer! Lady, you certainly went through it, so your celebrations are very necessary, I will celebrate your heart-iversary with a little drink tonight, to celebrate YOU. Take care.
Hugs
Faith x

*Vicki* said...

Happy Heart-iversary! I'm super thrilled to read your post today as I know it's a mark to say that you made it through all of that! I'm so proud of you for being here and sharing your brave accomplishment with us! I never knew what had happened, but I'm so glad you're here to celebrate! Keep on smiling dear lady!!

Bonnie said...

OH, my. I'm thankful you have made it through all that and are having more good days than bad. Keep up the good work and keep that ticker tickin'!

Darnell said...

Someone was looking out for you a year ago, Lynn, and I'm so glad! It's truly amazing how many people are here today because of bypass surgeries and how many relatives and friends we older folks have who didn't live long enough to be saved by medical advances. I'm sorry you had complications and your road to recovery has been so long and scary at times. One day at a time is how we all should live. Thank you for sharing, my friend. Happy Heartiversary! And many, many more!! Hugs, Darnell

ahlers5 said...

Oh my goodness, you have certainly had a time of it. I am so glad you are finally getting to the other side of it. I can't imagination how scary it must have been. Take care of yourself and enjoy the journey.

Brenda in IN said...

Wow, you had to be in shock when you went from perfect health to open heart surgery in such a short time. I've been there with my husband so I know how hard that is and the recovery seems so slow. You've been through a lot and now is the time to celebrate, not only your heart anniversary but every single day! I'm so happy to see you back posting again. I love your sense of humor and I'm sure it helps on those dark days. Take care of yourself and keep on making your cute cards.

Zacisze Lenki said...

It's a miracle that you've been well diagnosed. Healing and regaining strength was difficult, but I'm glad you're with us. A lot of health and serenity. Hugs Lynn.

Brenda said...

Well I am very thankful that they found your heart issues before you had any symptoms! It was definitely a long, tough road for you but God said he wasn't through with you yet and that your friends (me) needed you to still be here. It is amazing how they can go in and do all that to your body, take from other places on the body and make your heart good again. But it does take a toll on the body and it is a long recovery without any complications. You my dear friend are a miracle with all the complications you had! So, indeed, this is a cause for celebration!!! I'm very thankful for good days out weighing the bad now. You keep on keeping on because this friend still needs your friendship! Huge hugs, Brenda

Maria@Crafty Cre8tions said...

Lynn - I'm so happy to celebrate your heart-iversary!!!!!! And happy to read your good days outnumber your bad days!!! Keep up the great work! Blessings to you!
Maria

nwilliams6 said...

Oh wow. How did I totally miss all this? You are a very good story teller by the way - I was glued to these words. I know this was super scary. So glad you are having more good than bad days.

It is amazing what they can do and I am so glad your doctor scheduled that test and they found all this. My health issues have all sneaked up on me too. So thankful for great doctors and God.

You should definitely celebrate a heart-iversary! GIANT HUGZ

Lynn McAuley said...

Congratulations on your one year anniversary! So thrilled that your good days outnumber your bad days, and you can get back to enjoying the things you love! I will be praying that your recovery continues with you feeling stronger and better with every single day that passes. May God hold you in his tender care, Lynn!

EmmaT said...

Gosh what a journey you have been on, very traumatic both physically and mentally, hopefully the good days are outweighing the dark days more and more as the weeks pass. Sending you lots of positive vibes. Emmaxxx

JD/ Jill said...

Just like Nancy said it a post above mine! How did I miss this?
Yikes, you went though a lot...

So happy that all went well. I'm celebrating your Anniversary with you.. and I sincerely hope you have many, many more! God Bless. Jill